June 15, 2010

Tiny Tuesdays: small space living

small kitchens
Thank you all for your loyalty to me even though I hardly ever post anymore! I'm so sorry, with this new season of life things have been kind of crazy and it's hard to pull away. Now that we are getting on a kind of routine I plan on blogging here at simple eye much more. I thought that maybe if I had themes for each day it would make it a little more fun as well as a little easier for me to keep up with things:) I thought we would start today with Tiny Tuesdays! Tiny Tuesdays will be a look at some aspect of small spaces and how best to deal with the problems they present. My husband and I have lived in a small house and apartments for the last 2 years and have had to be pretty creative when it comes to decorating. It's a kind of challenge that I actually enjoy! We have had a small kitchen the past 2 years with minimal storage and get this...no pantry! We have used a book shelf for our pantry and baskets stored above which look like decor but really are storing many kitchen supplies we never use ( but hope to use one day!) These were just a few images that I thought had great ideas as far as small kitchen spaces. The image above is a great example of something I wish we could do but can't because we are renters :( Taking out cabinets and putting in shelves gets rid of the cave feeling and adds so much more space! You can add hooks, stack things, add decor, the options are endless! You'll feel like you have twice the counter space. Another thing that is quick and easy is just take off a few of your cabinet doors and expose the shelves inside! This might terrify some of you as you like to hide your mess, but just take off a few doors and show off your pretty dishes and tea cups!
house beautiful

This image shows a great way to hang pots and pans which we have done as well. We went to crate and barrel and bought a very affordable pot hanger which hangs from the ceiling. This one that hangs directly against the wall is a great option as well! Pots take up so much space in cabinets, can you imagine freeing up all that room!


stephanie stokes, Ny designer

I love love love this kitchen above by New York designer Stephanie Stokes. She was featured in House Beautiful and won Kitchen of the month! You are probably thinking...this kitchen doesn't look that small..you can see through to the next room! Look again! She used a mirror as a back splash which creates the illusion of space! I love this and if we weren't renting we would totally do it! Not only using a mirrored back splash but painting your cabinets white and using light colors creates the illusion of space as well! Check back for tomorrow's theme!

No comments: